What should I know about my baby's caregivers and immunizations?

Dawne A. Lowden, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Every year we see a larger outbreak of pertussis, and many affected are infants 3 months of age or less. Often the baby is exposed by a family member whose immunity has waned due to lack of maintaining booster vaccines every 10 years. Make sure that family and close contacts of your baby are up to date on their vaccines.

Everyone should have an influenza (flu) vaccine during flu season and Tdap (tetanus, diptheria and pertussis) if not received in the past 10 years. Also ask about childhood immunizations and whether anyone in contact with the baby has been vaccinated. If they can’t remember, they should see their doctor. Many people have less than adequate immunity to measles.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines are commonly given to children in the form of a shot to help prevent serious diseases like measles and mumps. Vaccines are developed using either dead strains of a disease, weakened strains, or strains of a different dise...

ase. As adults, we receive flu vaccines or may need a booster of childhood vaccines to retain immunity. Travelers may receive vaccines either as a condition of entry to a country, or on recommendation of health officials. Generally there is little or no reaction to a vaccine, but in some cases the vaccine may cause an allergic reaction or a temporary, mild illness. Some vaccines are not safe for pregnant women, so it’s important to check with a healthcare professional.