What should I know about my baby's caregivers and immunizations?

Every year we see a larger outbreak of pertussis, and many affected are infants 3 months of age or less. Often the baby is exposed by a family member whose immunity has waned due to lack of maintaining booster vaccines every 10 years. Make sure that family and close contacts of your baby are up to date on their vaccines.

Everyone should have an influenza (flu) vaccine during flu season and Tdap (tetanus, diptheria and pertussis) if not received in the past 10 years. Also ask about childhood immunizations and whether anyone in contact with the baby has been vaccinated. If they can’t remember, they should see their doctor. Many people have less than adequate immunity to measles.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Is Mumps Making a Comeback?
Is Mumps Making a Comeback?
Since the mumps vaccine was first approved in 1967, cases of mumps have dropped significantly—by more than 99 percent. But recent outbreaks suggest th...
At what age should my child be immunized?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Immunizations are extremely effective in protecting infants and children from potentially serious or...
What is thimerosal?
Dr. Mark Hyman, MDDr. Mark Hyman, MD
Thimerosal is a mercury-containing preservative formerly used in vaccines; it's a potent neurotoxin ...
The Shingles Vaccine Is Safe and Effective