What are conjugate vaccines?

Conjugate vaccines, such as the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine, take advantage of the immune system's ability to recognize proteins. A conjugate vaccine connects a protein very closely to specific types of bacteria. These vaccines have been shown to cause powerful, long-lasting immune responses and have excellent safety profiles.
Conjugate vaccines are typically used to provide protection against certain types of bacterial infection, particularly in very young children. These bacteria, including those that cause bacterial meningitis, are surrounded by a thick capsule called a polysaccharide coating. This coating helps the bacteria hide from the immune system.

The body can still produce antibodies against the bacterial antigens and provide some short-lived protection, but this type of protection doesn't develop in children until they are about 2 years old. So many polysaccharide vaccines for adults and older children don't work in younger children, leaving children highly susceptible to the illnesses those bacteria cause.

Enter the conjugate vaccine. Antigens (germs) that the baby's immune system does recognize are attached to the polysaccharide coating. The infant's immune system learns to recognize polysaccharide coatings as dangerous and to defend against them.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Flu Shot May Protect More Than You Think
When the NY Giants’ Michael Strahan was crowned the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year in 2001 he could never have predicted that one day he would be ...
Why is it important to keep my child's immunizations up to date?
Even though the United States experiences outbreaks of some vaccine-preventable diseases, the spread...
What do I need to vaccinate my child for diseases that only exist overseas?
You may have never seen a case of polio or diphtheria, but they still occur in other countries. All ...
Why Your Kids Need the HPV Vaccine
Why Your Kids Need the HPV Vaccine