Should I get vaccinated before I go out of country to adopt a child?

Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy

This depends on the country from which you are adopting. Find a local travel medicine or international medicine doctor who can meet with you to discuss traveling to a specific country and advise you on vaccinations, medications, eating while traveling, and other tips on staying healthy. 

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines are commonly given to children in the form of a shot to help prevent serious diseases like measles and mumps. Vaccines are developed using either dead strains of a disease, weakened strains, or strains of a different dise...

ase. As adults, we receive flu vaccines or may need a booster of childhood vaccines to retain immunity. Travelers may receive vaccines either as a condition of entry to a country, or on recommendation of health officials. Generally there is little or no reaction to a vaccine, but in some cases the vaccine may cause an allergic reaction or a temporary, mild illness. Some vaccines are not safe for pregnant women, so it’s important to check with a healthcare professional.