Should I get a measles vaccine before traveling internationally?

Anyone who is not protected against measles is at risk of getting infected with measles virus when they travel internationally. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that infants 6 through 11 months old get at least one dose of the MMR vaccine before they travel internationally. Children 12 months of age or older should have two doses separated by at least 28 days. Adults who have not had measles or been vaccinated should get two doses separated by at least 28 days. Check with your healthcare provider to see if you or your child should be vaccinated before traveling.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Hawaii Health Alert: 6 Myths That Aren’t True You Need to Know About Vaccines
Hawaii Health Alert: 6 Myths That Aren’t True You Need to Know About VaccinesHawaii Health Alert: 6 Myths That Aren’t True You Need to Know About VaccinesHawaii Health Alert: 6 Myths That Aren’t True You Need to Know About VaccinesHawaii Health Alert: 6 Myths That Aren’t True You Need to Know About Vaccines
No, immunizations aren't linked to autism. The number of Hawaii’s kindergartners who are unvaccinated is on the rise. In the 2014-15 school year, the...
Do Vaccination Benefits Outweigh Risks?
Do Vaccination Benefits Outweigh Risks?
How Do I Ensure the Flu Vaccine I Receive Does not Contain Thimerosal?
Does the Nasal Spray Flu Vaccine Contain Thimerosal?