Should I avoid vaccines when I'm pregnant?

You shouldn't avoid vaccines when you are pregnant. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) has specific vaccine recommendations for pregnant and breastfeeding women. The committee notes that there is no evidence of risk to your developing baby if you are vaccinated with an inactivated viral or bacterial vaccine while pregnant. In either case, the committee notes, the "benefits of vaccinating pregnant women usually outweigh the potential risks when the likelihood of disease exposure is high, when infection would pose a risk to the mother or fetus, and when the vaccine is unlikely to cause harm."
In general yes (see below) but and this is a big BUT so read on, there are some vaccines whose benefit is so much greater than risk that you should definitely get or at least consider adding on when pregnant -- just like you’d definitely take a prenatal multi every day (they decrease childhood birth defects by over 80%, and even decrease childhood cancers up to age 6 by 65%, and may make you child’s IQ a few points higher), you should definitely add on these vaccines -- the inactivated flu vaccine (if flu season is here or coming) and the whooping cough vaccine in your third trimester (the latter is known as Tdap). You pass some of the protection against these diseases to your baby until your baby can get her own shots after her immune system has developed…both the flu and whopping cough are much more serious for babies. (In addition, all family members and caregivers should be immunized against Tdap).

However, for most vaccines other than inactivated flu and whopping cough, getting them at least 1 month prior to conception is best. When you're in an immuno-suppressed state (as you are when you're pregnant), getting those vaccines may compromise your immune system further. The best course of action when it comes to vaccines is to get updated on your immunizations three or more months before you get pregnant. If you will be exposed to hepatitis B or have it, your baby should receive specific treatment to avoid chronic hepatitis B soon after birth. If you are planning on going overseas during pregnancy, get vaccinations appropriate to diseases seen in those countries that are rarely seen in North America three months prior to pregnancy.

So to summarize, during pregnancy, we recommend that you avoid all vaccines if you can -- except for the inactivated flu vaccine and that whopping cough vaccine (Tdap). Those are the two exceptions -- current data suggest much more benefit than risk to you and your baby from those flu and whopping cough vaccinations during pregnancy (like prenatal vitamins with DHA).

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Get Vaccination Information Before You Need It
In the animated Disney comedy, The Emperor’s New Groove, haughty Yzma (Eartha Kit) says to one unfortunate subject, “You should have thought of that b...
How do I ensure the flu vaccine I receive does not contain thimerosal?
Dr. Mark Hyman, MDDr. Mark Hyman, MD
To ensure the flu vaccine you receive does not contain thimerosal, ask for a single-dose vial, or as...
Should I get a measles vaccine before traveling internationally?
Anyone who is not protected against measles is at risk of getting infected with measles virus when t...
Can a Flu Shot Help Protect My Heart Health?