Can vaccines make you sick?

Although vaccines are effective in reducing the likelihood of getting an illness, they are not always 100 percent effective and therefore some people will still get the illness against which they were vaccinated. Fortunately they often have a less severe case of infection than if they had not been vaccinated.

Some people believe that vaccines are not effective. There are a few of reasons for this misconception, some of which are quite understandable. For example, when an outbreak of a preventable disease occurs, if almost everyone has gotten the vaccine to prevent it, then more people who get sick will have gotten vaccinated simply because so few have not gotten vaccinated. Say the vaccine for the disease is 98 percent effective (no vaccine is 100 percent effective). In this example, the 2 percent for whom the vaccine has not worked can easily outnumber all the people who did not get the vaccine. This does not mean that the vaccine does not work. Most childhood vaccines are effective for more than 90 percent of recipients. Ironically, if immunization efforts were not so successful in the United States, the apparent paradox would not exist, because the unvaccinated group would be larger—and, during an outbreak of disease, a higher percentage of the total number of affected people would come from that group.

Many people will note that the annual influenza vaccine does not have the same high percentage of effectiveness, generally reducing the risk of getting the flu by no more than 60 percent. But unlike other vaccinatable illnesses, the flu virus is different every year, and the vaccines' effectiveness varies with the prediction of what flu viruses will circulate each year. Other illnesses, like mumps, measles and chickenpox, do not vary from year to year.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Get Vaccination Information Before You Need It
In the animated Disney comedy, The Emperor’s New Groove, haughty Yzma (Eartha Kit) says to one unfortunate subject, “You should have thought of that b...
At what age should my child be immunized?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
Young children need a healthy start, and physical health is a key factor in young children’s proper ...
How can I prepare my child for a vaccination shot?
Make sure your child is in good health, is hydrated with water before vaccination, and is not receiv...
Why Is the Addition of Thimerosal to Flu Vaccines Controversial?