How do vaccine-preventable diseases spread in the United States?

“People living in the U.S. benefit from herd immunity, which makes it unlikely that certain diseases will spread from person to person because most of us are immune,” explains Julia Blank, M.D., a UCLA family medicine specialist. “The problem occurs when a small percentage of unvaccinated people within communities travel abroad to high-risk areas such as Europe, Asia or Africa, become infected and then bring the diseases back to the U.S.”

Dr. Blank adds that even some people who have received all of their vaccines may be at risk from exposure to unvaccinated disease carriers because most vaccines are not 100 percent effective. The measles vaccine, for example, has a 5 percent failure rate. Additionally, some children may be exposed before they are old enough to receive certain vaccines.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccination Safety—No Question About It
Vaccination Safety—No Question About It
After we noticed the safety of vaccines here in the U.S. being called into question we wanted to let YOU know the facts: Not only is the quality and i...
Should I vaccinate my child to protect other people?
Dr. Dale M. Valentine, MDDr. Dale M. Valentine, MD
When a large percentage of people are vaccinated it makes it much more difficult for an illness to s...
How often should I be vaccinated?
How often you should get vaccinated depends on your age and any associated risk factors. The Centers...
What Is Thimerosal?
What Is Thimerosal?