How soon before I travel abroad should I see a doctor?

It is recommended that you see a doctor approximately four to six weeks prior to traveling abroad. This will allow time for any recommended immunizations to be administered and take effect, as well as for any immunizations that require multiple doses to be completed.
Jenny K. Lee, MD
If possible, aim to set up an appointment at least 4-6 weeks before your trip. The sooner you come in for an appointment, the more time you allow your immune system to make antibodies from vaccines. In addition, some vaccines must be given in a series over a period of time. Your travel provider will also give you other information to protect yourself from illness and injury while traveling. However, you should seek medical care even if it is a last minute vacation.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines are commonly given to children in the form of a shot to help prevent serious diseases like measles and mumps. Vaccines are developed using either dead strains of a disease, weakened strains, or strains of a different dise...

ase. As adults, we receive flu vaccines or may need a booster of childhood vaccines to retain immunity. Travelers may receive vaccines either as a condition of entry to a country, or on recommendation of health officials. Generally there is little or no reaction to a vaccine, but in some cases the vaccine may cause an allergic reaction or a temporary, mild illness. Some vaccines are not safe for pregnant women, so it’s important to check with a healthcare professional.