How can I prepare my child for a vaccination shot?

Make sure your child is in good health, is hydrated with water before vaccination, and is not receiving antibiotics. If your child is sick, schedule his vaccines for another time. Treat any post-vaccine fever and irritability aggressively, hydrate with water or sports drinks, and proceed according to your pediatrician's instructions.
The best ways to prime your child for successful immunization are to make sure he has had a good night's sleep (toddlers need 12 to 14 hours of total sleep - night plus naps), is not showing symptoms of any illness and is well hydrated. Breast milk provides these vitamins, but you can also supplement with a baby multivitamin.
Most children get their first vaccination at birth in the hospital and then their first set of vaccinations at 2 months of age; most children will not need any preparation for these vaccinations. It is not uncommon for children to get a fever or rash after vaccinations. Often, parents will give their child acetaminophen (Tylenol) before or after the child receives a vaccination.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

A Pox on Your Clubhouse
A Pox on Your Clubhouse
In early September, the Kansas City Royals were leading their MLB division. Then a pox landed on their clubhouse; chickenpox, that is. Star relief pit...
What vaccines does my baby need?
Heath A. Cobb, MDHeath A. Cobb, MD
Following is the vaccine schedule for babies: Newborn Hepatitis B2 months Hepatitis BDiphtheria, ...
How can vaccinating my child help others stay healthy?
Unfortunately, 30 percent of kids in America aren’t getting all the shots they need. That’s more tha...
Is There a Connection Between Vaccines and Autism?