How can I prepare my child for a vaccination shot?

Most children get their first vaccination at birth in the hospital and then their first set of vaccinations at 2 months of age; most children will not need any preparation for these vaccinations. It is not uncommon for children to get a fever or rash after vaccinations. Often, parents will give their child acetaminophen (Tylenol) before or after the child receives a vaccination.
Make sure your child is in good health, is hydrated with water before vaccination, and is not receiving antibiotics. If your child is sick, schedule his vaccines for another time. Treat any post-vaccine fever and irritability aggressively, hydrate with water or sports drinks, and proceed according to your pediatrician's instructions.
The best ways to prime your child for successful immunization are to make sure he has had a good night's sleep (toddlers need 12 to 14 hours of total sleep - night plus naps), is not showing symptoms of any illness and is well hydrated. Breast milk provides these vitamins, but you can also supplement with a baby multivitamin.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Almost 80 Million Americans Have This Virus—Here's How to Protect Yourself
It’s thought that almost 80 million Americans are currently infected with human papillomavirus (HPV), a sexually transmitted virus that can cause geni...
How do vaccine-preventable diseases spread in the United States?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
“People living in the U.S. benefit from herd immunity, which makes it unlikely that certain diseases...
What vaccinations should teenagers get?
Teenagers definitely need vaccines and regular boosters, as do adults. Adolescents who are 11 or 12 ...
Can I Get Influenza From the Influenza Vaccine?