How many deaths worldwide are prevented with vaccines?

Worldwide, childhood vaccines prevent up to three million deaths each year. The discovery and wide application of vaccines that protect against once-fatal childhood diseases such as measles, mumps, rubella and diphtheria is one of the most significant medical contributions of the past two centuries. Today, newborns get their first vaccine soon after birth (hepatitis B), then, between one and two months begin a series of shots that will eventually protect them against 14 diseases.

In recent years, however, parents are increasingly likely to under-vaccinate their children. A January 2013 study reported that nearly half of children ages 2 months to 24 months in the United States either aren't getting all the necessary vaccines or have not been vaccinated at all.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Facts to Support Vaccinations
Facts to Support Vaccinations
When MTV celebrated its 29th birthday this summer, the music video channel had to face facts. Music videos have become super-popular on venues like Yo...
How can the VFC program help me pay for my child's vaccinations?
The Vaccines for Children (VFC) program helps families of eligible children who might not otherwise ...
What can I do if my health insurance doesn't cover vaccinations?
Most health insurance plans cover the cost of vaccinations. However, you should check with your insu...
How Do I Ensure the Flu Vaccine I Receive Does not Contain Thimerosal?