How do I ensure the flu vaccine I receive does not contain thimerosal?

Dr. Mark Hyman, MD
Family Medicine
To ensure the flu vaccine you receive does not contain thimerosal, ask for a single-dose vial, or ask for the nasal spray type of flu vaccine. Watch as I discuss the best ways to avoid this toxic compound.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines are commonly given to children in the form of a shot to help prevent serious diseases like measles and mumps. Vaccines are developed using either dead strains of a disease, weakened strains, or strains of a different dise...

ase. As adults, we receive flu vaccines or may need a booster of childhood vaccines to retain immunity. Travelers may receive vaccines either as a condition of entry to a country, or on recommendation of health officials. Generally there is little or no reaction to a vaccine, but in some cases the vaccine may cause an allergic reaction or a temporary, mild illness. Some vaccines are not safe for pregnant women, so it’s important to check with a healthcare professional.