Do vaccinations contain high levels of mercury?

Some people are concerned that vaccinations contain high levels of mercury (thimerosal). However, almost all routine childhood vaccinations are now mercury-free, in response to a U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS) and American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) request to manufacturers in 1999.

Thimerosal is a mercury-containing organic compound preservative that had been used in some vaccines and other products since the 1930s. There has been no evidence of harm caused by the low doses of the ingredient that used to be in some vaccines and other treatments, but it was removed as a precautionary measure, regardless. The only vaccines that may still contain this preservative are inactivated flu vaccines, which only make up a small part of the flu vaccine spectrum.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Flu Shot May Protect More Than You Think
When the NY Giants’ Michael Strahan was crowned the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year in 2001 he could never have predicted that one day he would be ...
What do I need to vaccinate my child for diseases that only exist overseas?
You may have never seen a case of polio or diphtheria, but they still occur in other countries. All ...
Why is it important to keep my child's immunizations up to date?
Even though the United States experiences outbreaks of some vaccine-preventable diseases, the spread...
Is There a Vaccine for Prostate Cancer?
Is There a Vaccine for Prostate Cancer?