Do vaccinations contain high levels of mercury?

Some people are concerned that vaccinations contain high levels of mercury (thimerosal). However, almost all routine childhood vaccinations are now mercury-free, in response to a U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS) and American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) request to manufacturers in 1999.

Thimerosal is a mercury-containing organic compound preservative that had been used in some vaccines and other products since the 1930s. There has been no evidence of harm caused by the low doses of the ingredient that used to be in some vaccines and other treatments, but it was removed as a precautionary measure, regardless. The only vaccines that may still contain this preservative are inactivated flu vaccines, which only make up a small part of the flu vaccine spectrum.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Facts to Support Vaccinations
Facts to Support Vaccinations
When MTV celebrated its 29th birthday this summer, the music video channel had to face facts. Music videos have become super-popular on venues like Yo...
At what age should my child be immunized?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Immunizations are extremely effective in protecting infants and children from potentially serious or...
What are the different types of vaccines?
The following types of vaccines are commonly available: Flu vaccine: Protection again some flu v...
Can I Get Influenza From the Influenza Vaccine?