Can my child get the mumps vaccine if he is allergic to eggs?

Egg allergies once kept many children from getting mumps vaccine, but no longer. The MMR or MMRV vaccines are safe for most children who have egg allergies. Although the vaccine is grown in a chick embryo culture, the health risk to children with egg allergies is extremely low. This was demonstrated in a study published in 1995. If you are concerned, talk to your child's doctor about your child's allergies and other health issues.
However, in the US mumps vaccine is available only in two combination products: one with measles and rubella and the other with measles, rubella and varicella vaccines.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Do Vaccines Really Work?
Do Vaccines Really Work?
We did several tips last year about how vaccinations prevent illnesses by bolstering your immune system and how the benefit to risk ratio—for ALL vacc...
Do Vaccination Benefits Outweigh Risks?
Do Vaccination Benefits Outweigh Risks?
Can I Get Influenza From the Influenza Vaccine?
Why Is the Addition of Thimerosal to Flu Vaccines Controversial?