Can my child get the mumps vaccine if he is allergic to eggs?

Egg allergies once kept many children from getting mumps vaccine, but no longer. The MMR or MMRV vaccines are safe for most children who have egg allergies. Although the vaccine is grown in a chick embryo culture, the health risk to children with egg allergies is extremely low. This was demonstrated in a study published in 1995. If you are concerned, talk to your child's doctor about your child's allergies and other health issues.
However, in the US mumps vaccine is available only in two combination products: one with measles and rubella and the other with measles, rubella and varicella vaccines.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Facts to Support Vaccinations
Facts to Support Vaccinations
When MTV celebrated its 29th birthday this summer, the music video channel had to face facts. Music videos have become super-popular on venues like Yo...
Can I get the flu shot when I have a cold?
You can get a flu shot when you have a cold. The flu shot is not weakened by the cold and should not...
What can I do if my health insurance doesn't cover vaccinations?
Most health insurance plans cover the cost of vaccinations. However, you should check with your insu...
Is There a Connection Between Vaccines and Autism?