Can vaccines cause chronic illnesses?

People getting a chronic illness from a vaccine is extremely rare. All vaccines given in the United States go through rigorous testing and must be approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). If studies show that vaccines are either not effective or cause other illnesses, they are either not approved or have their approval revoked.

It's also important to understand that nothing is perfect. While no confirmed studies link any currently used vaccines with serious chronic illnesses, experts cannot rule out the possibility that there may be a link for some people. But any safety measure, no matter how effective, will have a potential downside.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Did the Influenza Vaccine Work Better Than Expected Last Year?
Q: I heard the flu vaccine only worked 20 to 25 percent of the time last year. Is it even worth getting this year? —  Lolly G., Stamford, CT A: It’s ...
Why do I need to vaccinate my child for diseases that existed in the past?
Reducing and eliminating the diseases that vaccines prevent is one of the top achievements in the hi...
Why are vaccinations necessary early in life?
Vaccinations are necessary early in life to limit the spread of disease among the young. Vaccination...
Dr. Robin Miller, Where Do You Stand In the Vaccine Debate?