Can I get the flu shot when I have a cold?

You can get a flu shot when you have a cold. The flu shot is not weakened by the cold and should not make your cold worse. People can have reactions to any kind of vaccine, however, so it is possible to have additional symptoms after getting the shot.
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
As long as you don't have a fever, it's okay to get your flu shot if you have a cold. In this video, I will explain how the flu vaccine can still help protect you.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines are commonly given to children in the form of a shot to help prevent serious diseases like measles and mumps. Vaccines are developed using either dead strains of a disease, weakened strains, or strains of a different dise...

ase. As adults, we receive flu vaccines or may need a booster of childhood vaccines to retain immunity. Travelers may receive vaccines either as a condition of entry to a country, or on recommendation of health officials. Generally there is little or no reaction to a vaccine, but in some cases the vaccine may cause an allergic reaction or a temporary, mild illness. Some vaccines are not safe for pregnant women, so it’s important to check with a healthcare professional.