Can I get uterine fibroids again even if I've been treated for them before?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

It's possible to develop uterine fibroids again even if you've already been treated for them. If you've had fibroids that you've treated with medication, chances are that they never really went away - medications usually just reduce symptoms and shrink the fibroids without actually getting rid of them. Some women may undergo surgical procedures to remove the fibroids alone. This may be done through myomectomy (cutting them out), uterine artery embolization (blocking blood flow to the fibroids), ultrasound surgery, or a variety of other procedures. However, after most of these treatments, the fibroids may grow back. If they grow back without causing symptoms, no further treatment is needed. But if they grow back and are problematic, further treatment, including hysterectomy (removal of the uterus), may be needed.

Continue Learning about Uterine Fibroids

What Are the Ways That Surgeons Traditionally Perform Hysterectomies?
What Is a Fibroid and What Causes It?
What Is a Fibroid and What Causes It?
In Uterine Fibroid Embolization, What Are the Particles Used to Block the Arteries?
What Exactly Is a Laparoscopic Hysterectomy?