What increases my risk for uterine fibroids?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Although the exact cause of uterine fibroids is unknown, there are several factors that may affect your risk. Most uterine fibroids develop in women of reproductive age—that is, women who have undergone puberty but have not yet gone through menopause—and being 30 or older but pre-menopausal may increase your risk. Uterine fibroids may also have a genetic link, so your risk may be increased if you have a relative who's had fibroids. Racial background may also affect your risk. Black women are more likely than women of other races, and their fibroids are more likely to appear at a younger age and to cause symptoms. Being obese may also increase your risk for uterine fibroids; the more obese the greater the risk. Diet is also thought to be a factor; a diet high in red meat or ham and low in green vegetables may also raise your risk.

Continue Learning about Uterine Fibroids

What Are the Ways That Surgeons Traditionally Perform Hysterectomies?
How Do Complications from Robotic Hysterectomy Compare to Those of Traditional or Open Hysterectomy?
Why Would Someone Need a Second UFE?
Why Would Someone Need a Second UFE?
What If I Become Pregnant and Have Fibroids?