What questions should I ask my doctor if I have fibroids?

Rafael J. Perez, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Questions to ask your physician if you have uterine fibroids include:
What are my treatment options?
  1. Where are my fibroids located?
  2. Where do fibroids grow?
  3. What type of fibroids do I have?
  4. How are the fibroids related to my symptoms?
  5. If I plan on getting pregnant, how will fibroids affect my future fertility?
  6. If I become pregnant, will fibroids affect fetal growth?
  7. Do my fibroids require treatment?
  8. When should I seek treatment?
  9. What type of follow-up is needed for my fibroids?
  10. Who should remove my fibroids my ob/gyn or a surgeon?

If you have fibroids, you need to ask your doctor the following questions:

How many fibroids do I have? What size is my fibroid(s)? Where is my fibroid(s) located (outer surface, inner surface, or in the wall of the uterus)? Can I expect the fibroid(s) to grow larger? How rapidly have they grown (if they were known about already)? How will I know if the fibroid(s) is growing larger? What problems can the fibroid(s) cause? What tests or imaging studies are best for keeping track of the growth of my fibroids? What are my treatment options if my fibroid(s) becomes a problem? What are your views on treating fibroids with a hysterectomy versus other types of treatments?

A second opinion is always a good idea if your doctor has not answered your questions completely or does not seem to be meeting your needs.

This answer is based on source information from The National Women's Health Information Center.

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

When patients come to my office to discuss fibroids, it is very important to find out what symptoms they are having. It is my belief that patient's fibroids should only be treated if they are having significant symptoms. I will often want to treat their symptoms in the most conservative manners possible. 

The most common question that my patients ask about fibroids are:

1.      How big are my fibroids?

2.      What problems could these fibroids cause in the future.

3.      How should we manage my fibroids, and what tests should we do to see if they are growing?

4.      What are the treatment options that I have for my fibroids? 

Continue Learning about Uterine Fibroids

Uterine Fibroids

If you have uterine fibroids, you may never even notice that they are there. Ranging from the size of a small seed to grapefruit-sized, fibroids are tumors on the uterus that rarely cause harm. Some women have true discomfort with ...

fibroids, including pain in the abdomen or low back, or pain during sex. Sometimes, uterine fibroids can cause miscarriage, preterm labor, or even lead to infertility. Women in their 40s and 50s, women of African-American descent and women that are overweight are at higher risk of developing fibroids, although an estimated 20-80% of women will have them at some point before they turn 50. If your doctor notices fibroids during an ultrasound or pelvic exam, he or she may want to treat them with medication or surgery.