Question

Uterine Fibroids

Do uterine fibroids increase my risk for cancer?

• Although fibroids are tumors, they are not cancerous. They rarely develop into cancer - in fact, they rarely increase your risk for cancer. For about 75 percent of affected women, fibroids don't cause many noticeable symptoms and don't require treatment.

• A John Lipman, MD, Vascular & Interventional Radiology, answered
    Fibroids are the most common benign pelvic tumor in women. While their cause is unknown, they are found in the uterus in women typically in their mid and later reproductive years. They do not increase a woman's risk for developing cancer.
What if I become pregnant and have fibroids?