Does diet affect the risk of fibroids?

Jessica A. Shepherd, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
There isn't a direct link between diet and fibroids, but there does seem to be some dietary modifications that can decrease the incidence of fibroids. In this video, OB/GYN specialist Jessica Shepherd, MD, discusses the foods to embrace - and avoid.
Dr. Rovenia Brock, PhD
Foods may be key in the treatment and prevention of fibroids. Since excessively high estrogen levels seem to play a role in fibroid development, research suggests that cutting down on red meat, which is believed to boost estrogen levels, could help. Furthermore, certain phytoestrogens (phytochemicals found in certain vegetables and fruits) are believed by many experts to help moderate the effect of estrogen in the body -- enhancing estrogen if estrogen levels are too low, blocking estrogen's effects if the levels are too high.

When Italian scientists analyzed the diets of over 2,300 women, they found that those who ate the most red meat and the least amount of green vegetables had a significantly higher incidence of fibroids than women who ate more vegetables and less red meat. Researchers currently believe that you can reduce your risk for developing fibroids by increasing your consumption of broccoli, asparagus, spinach, kale, romaine lettuce, and other green vegetables. I recommend 7 to 10 servings a day. But don't stop there. By all means, limit your consumption of red meat to no more than 3 ounces a day. Replace it with generous portions of soy protein for heart disease protection and, as an added benefit, reduction or elimination of menopausal symptoms.
Dr. Ro's Ten Secrets to Livin' Healthy

Dr. Ro's Ten Secrets to Livin' Healthy

In this one-of-a-kind book, Dr. Rovenia M. Brock—known as Dr. Ro™ to fans of Black Entertainment Television’s Heart & Soul—reveals practical, satisfying ways for African American women to eat...

Continue Learning about Uterine Fibroids

Are uterine fibroids cancer?
Kevin W. Windom, MDKevin W. Windom, MD
Uterine fibroids are not cancer, and they are not associated with cancer.  They are benign tumors of...
What questions should I ask my doctor if I have fibroids?
Kevin W. Windom, MDKevin W. Windom, MD
When patients come to my office to discuss fibroids, it is very important to find out what symptoms ...
Why Bethenny Frankel Supports Eating French Fries
What Are the Treatments for Fibroids?
What Are the Treatments for Fibroids?