What should I think about if I have uterine fibroid embolization (UFE)?

Interventional Radiologists (IR) are the physicians that perform the UFE procedure. You should seek out the IR who has the most UFE experience in your area. If there is not an IR with a significant UFE experience in your area, The Society of Interventional Radiology (SIR) website (www.sirweb.org) can find such a physician. It lists IRs from every state which is then alphabetized by city and last name. Those IR physicians with Fellowship status (FSIR after their name) have been recognized by the Society as leaders in the field of IR. You should ask the IR if he or she will perform the procedure (vs. supervising a resident or other physician), how many UFE procedures they have performed (hopefully hundreds or thousands), and who will care for you following the procedure (the IR or IR's colleague and not your Gynecologist or other physician).

Continue Learning about Uterine Fibroids Treatment