What are the risks of removing a large uterine fibroid?

Mary Chappell
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
If you are having a myomectomy there is always a risk of hysterectomy. If you plan on having children in the future and the fibroid being removed goes into your uterine cavity, you may have to have a cesarean section due to risk of uterine rupture if you labor. There are also the other known risks of surgery; bleeding, infection and injury to nearby organs.

Continue Learning about Uterine Fibroids Treatment

Are more treatments being developed for uterine fibroids?
Yes. Researchers are looking into other ways to treat uterine fibroids. The following methods are no...
Should my fibroids be removed by my obgyn or surgeon?
John K. Jain, MDJohn K. Jain, MD
Fibroids, also called leiomyomas, are benign, smooth muscle tumors within the uterus. Only 0.5% are ...
What Is a Common Medication Used to Treat Fibroid Symptoms?
What Are the Ways That Surgeons Traditionally Perform Hysterectomies?