What is the serving size for non-starchy vegetables in the USDA MyPlate?

Toby Smithson

Based on a 2000 calorie diet, 2 ½ cups of vegetables is recommended per day. A one cup serving is equal to 1 cup of raw or cooked vegetables or vegetable juice; or 2 cups of leafy green vegetables. One cup portion of raw vegetables are: 3 spears of broccoli, 1 large tomato or bell pepper or 12 baby carrots. If you cup two of your hands together, you can visualize a 1 cup serving.

In general, a serving is considered:

• 1 cup of raw or cooked vegetables or vegetable juice
  • 2 cups of raw leafy greens

Visit ChooseMyPlate.gov for a complete listing of all the variety of vegetables in this food group.

MyPlate, USDA's food pyramid

Continue Learning about USDA MyPlate

How important are grains in the USDA MyPlate recommendations?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
Eating grains and especially whole grains is very beneficial to our health. The USDA MyPlate explain...
Should seniors follow the USDA MyPlate recommendations?
Marilyn Ricci, M.S., R.D.Marilyn Ricci, M.S., R.D.
The USDA MYPlate is a useful tool for everyone, no matter what their age. As you get older and espec...
Do I need to measure my food portions exactly to follow the USDA MyPlate?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
You do not need to measure your food portions exactly to successfully follow MyPlate. MyPlate is a g...
How do the USDA MyPlate recommendations differ from the food pyramid?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The recommendations for the MyPlate differ in several ways although some of the food pyramid message...