What research are the USDA MyPlate recommendations based on?

MyPlate is the most recent tool released by the USDA that serves as an icon to remind consumers to eat healthfully. It depicts the five food groups using a familiar mealtime visual, a place setting. MyPlate is the focal point for a larger, web-based communication and education initiative at ChooseMyPlate.gov that provides information, tips and tools to help you build a healthier diet based on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010.

The Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010 reflect the most current nutrition and physical activity recommendations based on the latest science for good health. The guidelines are designed to help individuals aged 2 and over improve the quality and content of their diet and lifestyle to lower their risk of chronic diseases and conditions, such as heart disease and high blood pressure.

MyPlate was designed based on the research and science that support the latest Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
MyPlate, USDA's food pyramid

Continue Learning about USDA MyPlate

How important is dairy in the USDA MyPlate recommendations?
Marilyn Tanner-BlasiarMarilyn Tanner-Blasiar
Dairy foods are nutrient rich foods that package several nutrients that we all need. These nutrients...
What is the serving size of meat in the USDA MyPlate model?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
Based on a 2000 calorie per day diet, it is recommended to consume 5.5 ounces of protein per day. On...
How can I use the MyPlate recommendations to help my family eat healthier?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The new MyPlate is a great visual tool for teaching your whole family how to eat healthier. It is a ...
How can MyPlate help my heart disease?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has replaced the familiar Food Pyramid with a graphic call...