How do the food sections on the USDA MyPlate represent food portion size?

As you can see from the figure, MyPlate is a dinner plate split into multiple sections, each representing each of the five food groups: fruits, vegetables, grains, protein foods, and dairy. While oils are an important part of a healthy diet, they are not depicted on the plate as they are not considered a food group.

While the MyPlate icon doesn't provide you with specific portion sizes, it provides proportionality in regards to how these food groups should dominate your diet. Half of your plate should be devoted to waist- and heart-friendly vegetables and fruit with a smaller portion for grains, preferably whole grains, and lean protein foods such as fish, skinless poultry, lean meats, dried beans and peas. The circle shape next to the plate is a visual reminder to make sure that fat-free and low-fat dairy foods such as milk should not be forgotten at mealtimes.

For specific portions sizes for each food groups as well as the number of servings from each food that you should be consuming daily, please visit: ChooseMyPlate.gov.
MyPlate, USDA's food pyramid

Continue Learning about USDA MyPlate

How can I use the MyPlate recommendations to help my family eat healthier?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The new MyPlate is a great visual tool for teaching your whole family how to eat healthier. It is a ...
Why did the USDA change the food guidelines from the pyramid to the plate?
Nutritionists maintain that the food pyramid was a misrepresentation of healthy eating, as it failed...
What research are the USDA MyPlate recommendations based on?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
MyPlate is the most recent tool released by the USDA that serves as an icon to remind consumers to e...
How can I explain the USDA MyPlate recommendations to my children?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
MyPlate is a great tool for teaching children basic nutrition. The plate clearly shows children what...