How does the USDA MyPlate model work?

MyPlate depicts the five food groups using a familiar mealtime visual, a place setting. As you can see from the figure, MyPlate is a dinner plate split into multiple sections, each representing each of the five food groups: fruits, vegetables, grains, protein foods, and dairy. While oils are an important part of a healthy diet, they are not depicted on the plate as they are not considered a food group.

At a blink of an eye, you will now see proportionality in regards to how these food groups should dominate your diet. Half of your plate should be devoted to waist- and heart-friendly vegetables and fruit with a smaller portion for grains, preferably whole grains and lean protein foods such as fish, skinless poultry, lean meats, dried beans and peas. The circle shape next to the plate is a visual reminder to make sure that fat-free and low-fat dairy foods such as milk should not be forgotten at mealtimes. 
MyPlate, USDA's food pyramid

Continue Learning about USDA MyPlate

Do I need to follow the USDA MyPlate exactly to eat healthy?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
MyPlate are guidelines to a healthy diet. These are suggestions to make you more aware so that over ...
How can I use the MyPlate recommendations to help my family eat healthier?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
MyPlate is the most recent tool released by the USDA that serves as an icon to remind consumers and...
What are the serving sizes of dairy products in the USDA MyPlate?
A serving of dairy products is considered: 1 cup of milk, yogurt, or soymilk (soy beverage) 1 ...
What are the serving sizes of fruits used in the USDA MYPlate model?
According to the USDA, a serving from the fruit group is considered:1 cup of fruit 1 cup of 100% fr...