At what age should toddlers and children start following the USDA MyPlate?

Sarah Krieger
The new MyPlate is aimed at all healthy children and adults starting at age 2. Children under the age of 2 have unique nutritional needs, such as needing more total fat and calories per body weight that is needed for brain and physical growth. Once growth slows down the MyPlate is a great tool for adults to teach children on how a meal should look: 1/2 the plate is fruit and vegetables, 1/4 of it from lean protein foods and the remaining 1/4 of the plate is whole grains with water and nonfat milk on the side. The earlier children are exposed to nutritious eating habits, the easier it will be to maintain the benefits for life.

Continue Learning about USDA MyPlate

What are the serving sizes of fruits used in the USDA MYPlate model?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
According to the 2010 Dietary Guidelines, a serving of fruit is equal to 1 cup of raw, cooked fruit;...
What are the USDA MyPlate nutrition recommendations?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
The new MyPlate is a dinner plate split into multiple sections, each representing not only a differe...
How can I use the MyPlate recommendations to help my family eat healthier?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The new MyPlate is a great visual tool for teaching your whole family how to eat healthier. It is a ...
What are the food sections of the USDA MyPlate?
Deborah BeauvaisDeborah Beauvais
The new MyPlate is a useful tool for consumers to follow dietary guidelines and eat healthfully. ...