When should I call the doctor if my child has a urinary tract infection?

If your child has a urinary tract infection, you should call the doctor for the following reasons.
  • Your child has completed a course of antibiotics for the infection and you want to follow up with the doctor to be sure the infection has cleared.
  • Your child's symptoms do not improve within 48 hours of starting treatment.
  • Your child spikes a fever, or a fever returns after starting treatment, or your child has a seizure related to a fever.
  • Your child experiences increased pain in the stomach, back or side.
  • Your child has chills.
  • Your child begins to vomit.
  • Your child has signs of dehydration (very dark urine, excessive thirst, dry mouth, dizziness).
  • Your child has recurrent urinary tract infections.

Continue Learning about Urinary Tract Infections (UTI)

Need an Escape From UTIs? Wash it Out With Water
Remember Adam Sandler in Billy Madison? Bill Paxton in True Lies? And, most poignant, Jeremy Blackman in Magnolia? In those movies it’s the males who,...
How common are urinary tract infections (UTI)?
The incidence of urinary tract infection varies depending on sex and age group, accounting for more ...
How does a urinary tract infection affect the body?
Urinary tract infections can affect the body in several ways, depending on the specific location of ...
What Are Treatment Options for Urinary Incontinence?