What should I do if I think I have a bladder infection?

Call or go to the doctor or clinic if you think you have a bladder infection (urinary tract infection). Only a doctor can give you medicine to cure a UTI. If you can't reach the doctor or clinic, go to an urgent-care clinic or to the hospital.

To treat pain while you wait for medical care, use acetaminophen (like Tylenol) or ibuprofen (like Advil). Follow the instructions for timing and dose. Do not give aspirin to a child or teen -- it increases risk for a serious problem called Reye's syndrome.

Continue Learning about Urinary Tract Infections (UTI)

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.