Is a bladder infection serious?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

A bladder infection is not usually a serious condition and sometimes resolves alone within days. But if the infection spreads to the kidneys, the condition could become very serious as it could cause permanent kidney damage. If blood is found in the urine, the underlying cause of the blood must be diagnosed so that proper treatment can begin. If an underlying physical abnormality is the source of infection, this condition must be treated to avoid further infection.

Continue Learning about Urinary Tract Infections (UTI)

Need an Escape From UTIs? Wash it Out With Water
Remember Adam Sandler in Billy Madison? Bill Paxton in True Lies? And, most poignant, Jeremy Blackman in Magnolia? In those movies it’s the males who,...
How can cutting down on sugar reduce yeast overgrowth?
Amy E. Myers, MDAmy E. Myers, MD
Cutting down on sugar can reduce yeast overgrowth because the yeast feeds on the sugar; removing car...
Can I catch a UTI from my partner during sex?
These are the risk factors associated with urinary tract infections (UTIs): history of repeat UTIs, ...
What Are Treatment Options for Urinary Incontinence?