If I get urinary tract infections (UTI) often, how can my doctor help me?


About one in five women who get UTIs will get another one. Some women get three or more UTIs a year. If you are prone to UTIs, ask your doctor about your treatment options. Your doctor may ask you to take a small dose of medicine every day to prevent infection. Or, your doctor might give you a supply of antibiotics to take after sex or at the first sign of infection. "Dipsticks" can help test for UTIs at home. They are useful for some women with repeat UTIs. Ask your doctor if you should use dipsticks at home to test for UTI. Your doctor may also want to do special tests to see what is causing repeat infections. Ask about them.

This answer is based on source information from National Women's Health Information Center.

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Patients with chronic urinary tract infections (UTIs) need to see a urologist or urogynecologist to evaluate their bladder. After I obtain a thorough history on my patients with chronic UTIs, I perform a physical exam to check for anomalies such as bladder prolapse (cystocele) or changes in their urethral, bladder, or vaginal anatomy. Lastly, patients with chronic urinary tract infections should undergo a cystoscopy to check for abnormalities inside their bladder.