Can I catch a UTI from my partner during sex?

These are the risk factors associated with urinary tract infections (UTIs): history of repeat UTIs, sexual intercourse, and diaphragm-spermicide use. This does not mean that you "catch" an infection from your partner but that the above risk factors increase the likelihood that you will get an infection. Infections are caused by bacteria that normally live in your rectum that enter the urethra, which is where urine exits your body. Once the bacteria Is there, an infection can set in your urinary tract, which can eventually travel to your kidneys if it is not treated.

Continue Learning about Urinary Tract Infections (UTI)

The Risk of UTIs Increases in Older Women—Here’s Why
When you think of urinary tract infections (UTIs), you may think of them happening in people in their teens, 20s and 30s. But UTIs in older women are ...
What Are Treatment Options for Urinary Incontinence?