Can I catch a UTI from my partner during sex?

These are the risk factors associated with urinary tract infections (UTIs): history of repeat UTIs, sexual intercourse, and diaphragm-spermicide use. This does not mean that you "catch" an infection from your partner but that the above risk factors increase the likelihood that you will get an infection. Infections are caused by bacteria that normally live in your rectum that enter the urethra, which is where urine exits your body. Once the bacteria Is there, an infection can set in your urinary tract, which can eventually travel to your kidneys if it is not treated.

Continue Learning about Urinary Tract Infections (UTI)

Need an Escape From UTIs? Wash it Out With Water
Remember Adam Sandler in Billy Madison? Bill Paxton in True Lies? And, most poignant, Jeremy Blackman in Magnolia? In those movies it’s the males who,...
How can I prevent a urinary tract infection (UTI)?
Dr. Joseph M. Mercola, DODr. Joseph M. Mercola, DO
Women are more prone to urinary tract infections than men, in part because of their shorter urethras...
What do changes in urine indicate?
Jayram Krishnan, DOJayram Krishnan, DO
Change in your urine's color or smell can indicate a urinary tract infection, says Jayram Krishnan, ...
What Are Treatment Options for Urinary Incontinence?