Will I be awake during the catheterization and interventional procedures?

Michael S. Chen, MD
In general, yes. Most cardiologists perform catheterization and interventional procedures with conscious sedation. This generally consists of a pain medicine (opiate) intravenously such as fentanyl and a relaxing medicine (benzodiazepine) such as versed. These medicines take the edge off of things but patients are able to follow commands and answer questions. sometimes patients may be drowsy and fall asleep, but they are generally easily arousable.

Continue Learning about Urinary Tract Infections (UTI)

The Risk of UTIs Increases in Older Women—Here’s Why
When you think of urinary tract infections (UTIs), you may think of them happening in people in their teens, 20s and 30s. But UTIs in older women are ...
Can I catch a UTI from my partner during sex?
These are the risk factors associated with urinary tract infections (UTIs): history of repeat UTIs, ...
How common are urinary tract infections (UTI)?
The incidence of urinary tract infection varies depending on sex and age group, accounting for more ...
What Are Treatment Options for Urinary Incontinence?