What are the symptoms of urinary incontinence and overactive bladder?

Symptoms of urinary incontinence and overactive bladder may differ from person to person but rarely go away on their own. If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, talk to your doctor.

• Have a need to urinate frequently -- more than eight times per day
  • Have a need to urinate with feeling of urgency
  • Leak frequently or constantly without feeling of urgency
  • Leak urine due to sudden, unstoppable need to urinate
  • Get up to urinate two or more times during the night
  • Wet the bed
  • Leak urine when you sneeze, laugh, cough, or exercise

These symptoms can cause a great deal of distress and discomfort and can significantly impact quality of life. Unfortunately, many people don't get the help they need, because they're too embarrassed to talk about what they're experiencing, or they think nothing can be done.

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence

Bladder Problems? Do Kegels
Bladder Problems? Do Kegels
What embarrassing health secret do teen athletes, guys in their 40s to 90s, middle-age women, and military parachute trainees share but rarely 'fess u...
What type of doctor should I see for urinary incontinence?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
If someone has urinary incontinence, they can either see a urologist or an OBGYN.
Why do I pee a little when I sneeze, laugh and cough?
Lee's Summit Medical CenterLee's Summit Medical Center
If you pee a little when you sneeze, laugh and cough, this is called stress incontinence. Stress inc...
When Is It Time to See a Doctor for Urinary Incontinence?