What is stress urinary incontinence?

Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

Generally when we think about stress and pressure, we are referring to the emotions we feel as a result of life’s daily trials and tribulations. Incontinence, however, is a very real reaction to physical stress and pressure on muscles and tissues in our body.

Having stress incontinence is like having occasional faulty plumbing. Your sphincter muscles and/or pelvic floor muscles are not working effectively and can’t properly control a leak in your bladder. In some cases, this weakness can be so severe that standing or walking, in addition to other activities, can cause frequent trips to the bathroom or voiding accidents.

Stress incontinence is also referred to as:

1. Genuine stress incontinence

2. External sphincter incompetence (ESD)

3. Urethral insufficiency/Intrinsic sphincter deficiency (ISD)

Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence

6 Habits That Impact Bladder Control
6 Habits That Impact Bladder Control
There is a strong link between diet and bladder control. Specific foods and drinks, portion sizes, and the time of day a person eats and drinks can al...
How can I avoid dribbling of urine?
Lee's Summit Medical CenterLee's Summit Medical Center
Treatment of urinary incontinence depends on the type of incontinence you have. Some types of incont...
What causes dribbling of urine in men?
Frankfort Regional Medical CenterFrankfort Regional Medical Center
Dribbling of urine in men is most commonly caused by an enlarged prostate.
What Causes Urinary Incontinence in Females?