What is reflex incontinence?

Dr. Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

When a person suffers from reflex incontinence, involuntary bladder contractions occur, but the urge to urinate is completely absent. The normal micturation reflex (urination) is somehow interrupted: sphincter relaxation, bladder contraction, opening of the urethra, urine flow and the bladder contraction will cause unpredictable voiding when the bladder is full or otherwise stimulated (by cold air, for example), resulting in incontinence.

Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Reflex incontinence occurs when the bladder muscle contracts and urine leaks (sometimes in large amounts) without any warning or urge. This can happen as a result of damage to the nerves that normally warn the brain that the bladder is filling. Reflex incontinence usually appears in women with serious neurological impairment from spinal cord injury and other injuries, multiple sclerosis or damage from surgery or radiation treatment.

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence

Solving Bladder Leak Problems
Solving Bladder Leak Problems
Horror fiction novelist Stephen King, say aficionados on reddit, has at least one character in every novel (The Stand and Under the Dome, for example)...
Do men experience urinary incontinence?
Michael H. Safir, MDMichael H. Safir, MD
Men usually experience urinary incontinence due to prostate problems. Urologist Michael Safir, MD, o...
What is detrusor hyperreflexia?
Jill RabinJill Rabin
Detrusor hyperreflexia occurs when there is a neurological cause for involuntary bladder contraction...
What Are the Different Types of Urinary Incontinence?