How is a Q-tip test for urinary incontinence done?

Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
While you are on the examining table, body reclined - with your legs up in stirrups - a Q-Tip lubricated with anesthetic gel is inserted into your urethra (the opening to your bladder). Don’t worry. It doesn’t hurt. You are then asked to cough and strain, and the doctor will observe how the cotton swab reacts. Too much movement of the Q-Tip may be indicative of weak pelvic floor and urethral connective tissue, which may place a woman at risk for incontinence.
Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence