Why is urinary incontinence more common in women?

Even though 1 in 4 women over 40 suffer from some type of urinary incontinence, most are too embarrassed to talk about it. Whether it's leaking a little when you laugh too hard, being unable to hold it until you reach the bathroom, or spraying instead of urinating in a steady stream, many women suffer unnecessarily from highly treatable problems. In fact, only 1 in 12 women will ever get help, and yet 80% of the time urinary problems can be completely cured.
Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Urinary Incontinence (UI), as defined by the International Continence Society, is “the complaint of any involuntary leakage of urine.” Girls, the sad but true fact is that incontinence primarily strikes women. So why does this happen to us? Unfortunately, our pelvic anatomy works against us. Women are susceptible to bladder infections, also known as urinary tract infections (UTIs) or cystitis. Bacteria can easily enter women’s bladders because our vagina, urethra, and anus are close together and because our short urethras make it easier for germs to travel where they shouldn’t go.
Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence

Solving Bladder Leak Problems
Solving Bladder Leak Problems
Horror fiction novelist Stephen King, say aficionados on reddit, has at least one character in every novel (The Stand and Under the Dome, for example)...
What is reflex incontinence?
Dr. Jill RabinDr. Jill Rabin
When a person suffers from reflex incontinence, involuntary bladder contractions occur, but the urge...
How can I avoid dribbling of urine?
Lee's Summit Medical CenterLee's Summit Medical Center
Treatment of urinary incontinence depends on the type of incontinence you have. Some types of incont...
What Causes Urinary Incontinence in Females?