What type of doctor should I see for urinary incontinence?

Rishi A. Modh, MD
Urology
If you are experiencing urinary incontinence, consider seeing your primary care physician or a urologist. Watch Rishi Modh, MD, of Northside Hospital, explain more.
Beri M. Ridgeway, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
The best piece of advice Beri Ridgeway, MD from Riverside Community Hospital can give on urinary incontinence is to seek care. Learn more from this video.
Learn why urinary incontinence is best diagnosed and treated by a urologist. Watch this video with Kyle Himsl, MD from Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center.
You should first see your primary care physician (PCP) for urinary incontinence, says Timothy Atkinson, MD, from Frankfort Regional Medical Center. Find out what doctor to see next by watching this short video.
If someone has urinary incontinence, they can either see a urologist or an OB/GYN. In this video, Kenneth Stallman, MD, with Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital, discusses the steps taken by both specialists.
Megan L. Sneed, MD
Urogynecology
Urinary incontinence can sometimes be treated by your primary care provider. Urogynecologists and urologists specialize in problems of the urinary tract.  Urogynecologists, in particular, treat problems with pelvic support as well, which can contribute significantly to incontinence. If you need surgery, it is important to find a surgeon who is experienced in the types of surgical procedures used to treat incontinence and concomitant pelvic floor issues.
Lennox Hoyte, MD
Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery
If you have urinary incontinence, you should see a urogynecologist or urologist. In this video, Lennox Hoyte, MD, an OB/GYN and urogynecologist at Florida Memorial Hospital of Tampa, says you should begin with your primary care doctor.
Primary care providers can refer patients to urologists to address urinary incontinence. In this video, urologist Michael Safir, MD, of West Hills Hospital, describes the doctors and subspecialists that can help with urinary issues.
Depending on the complexity of your urinary incontinence symptoms, you can choose to visit your primary care physician or go to a specialist. If you are comfortable with your primary care physician, start there. If your symptoms seem to be connected with a specific medical event, such as childbirth, surgery, or starting a new prescription, the physician involved in that treatment might be your first choice. A woman may choose to see a urogynecologist -- a gynecologist with special training and interest in incontinence. A man who has had prostate symptoms or treatment may choose to consult a urologist. Physicians vary widely in their training and interest in incontinence. If a physician seems uncomfortable or uninformed discussing the subject, presents limited options, or seems unduly pessimistic about your condition, seek another opinion.
Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

The first person to consult is your primary care physician, who will diagnose and treat or rule out infection. If your physician isn’t well versed in the dynamics of incontinence, you may also seek help from your gynecologist, who can determine if you have problems in your pelvic area, but who will likely have had little training in urology.

Or you can see a urologist (a doctor with specialized training regarding the urinary tract), who will recognize and take care of bladder and urinary tract problems, but may not have had much training with respect to the female reproductive system. Geriatricians, some physical therapists, and nurse specialists also deal with bladder problems.

Perhaps the best person to see, however, is a urogynecologist. Urogynecologists are doctors with specialized training in both female urologic and gynecologic problems. They examine and treat conditions that affect the muscles and tissues that support female pelvic organs.

Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence

Urinary Incontinence

Urinary Incontinence

Urinary incontinence (UI) is the accidental release of urine, which can affect both men and women. Symptoms of UI may differ from person to person and the treatment options range from medications to surgery. Learn more from our ex...

perts about UI.