How does stress contribute to urinary incontinence?

Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Although many of us tend to pooh-pooh them, emotional problems such as anxiety, confusion, depression, nervousness, or stress can lead to or aggravate already existing bladder problems and incontinence. As far-fetched as it may sound, it is essential to keep a clear, sound mind to maintain good bladder function. Anxiety, confusion, depression, nervousness, or stress can change your bladder habits and make you unaware of your bladder needs. Messages between your nervous system, your urinary tract muscles, and your brain must coordinate properly if you are to stay continent. So one of the keys to staying dry is maintaining good mental health.
Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence

Urinary Incontinence

Urinary Incontinence

Urinary incontinence (UI) is the accidental release of urine, which can affect both men and women. Symptoms of UI may differ from person to person and the treatment options range from medications to surgery. Learn more from our ex...

perts about UI.