Why do I pee a little when I sneeze, laugh and cough?

If you pee a little when you sneeze, laugh and cough, this is called stress incontinence. Stress incontinence occurs when there is unexpected leakage of urine caused by pressure or sudden muscle contractions on the bladder. This often occurs during exercise, heavy lifting, coughing, sneezing or laughing. Stress incontinence is the most common bladder control problem in young and middle-aged women. The condition may be due to an inherent weakness of the pelvic floor muscles or an effect from the changes that occur in pelvic support after childbirth. In menopausal women, stress incontinence can begin to occur because a drop in estrogen can cause weakening of the pelvic floor.

Dr. Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

"Leaking" urine when you sneeze, laugh or cough could be a condition called stress incontinence. In this video, Dr. Oz Show guest Mara Rabin gives tips on ways to avoid leakage.

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence

Bladder Problems? Do Kegels
Bladder Problems? Do Kegels
What embarrassing health secret do teen athletes, guys in their 40s to 90s, middle-age women, and military parachute trainees share but rarely 'fess u...
How can I prevent a urine odor if I have urinary incontinence?
Lee's Summit Medical CenterLee's Summit Medical Center
Bladder and urinary tract infections can also cause odor, therefore it is important to rule out infe...
What is urinary incontinence?
Urinary incontinence is the involuntary and uncontrollable loss of urine that can range from mild le...
When Is It Time to See a Doctor for Urinary Incontinence?