Urinary Incontinence

Why do I pee a little when I sneeze, laugh and cough?

• A Urogynecology, answered on behalf of
    If you pee a little when you sneeze, laugh and cough, this is called stress incontinence. Stress incontinence occurs when there is unexpected leakage of urine caused by pressure or sudden muscle contractions on the bladder. This often occurs during exercise, heavy lifting, coughing, sneezing or laughing. Stress incontinence is the most common bladder control problem in young and middle-aged women. The condition may be due to an inherent weakness of the pelvic floor muscles or an effect from the changes that occur in pelvic support after childbirth. In menopausal women, stress incontinence can begin to occur because a drop in estrogen can cause weakening of the pelvic floor.
  • A , OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology), answered
    health quiz jill mara rabin
    "Leaking" urine when you sneeze, laugh, or cough could be a condition called stress incontinence. In this video, Dr. Oz Show guest Mara Rabin gives tips on ways to avoid leakage.

• day1-west-hills-safir-1
    Leakage can occur when something puts pressure on the bladder. In this video, urologist Michael Safir, MD, of West Hills Hospital, explains how this can happen when you're sneezing, laughing or even exercising.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
What are the symptoms of urinary incontinence?