Why do I pee a little when I sneeze, laugh and cough?

If you pee a little when you sneeze, laugh and cough, this is called stress incontinence. Stress incontinence occurs when there is unexpected leakage of urine caused by pressure or sudden muscle contractions on the bladder. This often occurs during exercise, heavy lifting, coughing, sneezing or laughing. Stress incontinence is the most common bladder control problem in young and middle-aged women. The condition may be due to an inherent weakness of the pelvic floor muscles or an effect from the changes that occur in pelvic support after childbirth. In menopausal women, stress incontinence can begin to occur because a drop in estrogen can cause weakening of the pelvic floor.

Dr. Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

"Leaking" urine when you sneeze, laugh or cough could be a condition called stress incontinence. In this video, Dr. Oz Show guest Mara Rabin gives tips on ways to avoid leakage.

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence

5 Ways to Fight Urinary Incontinence
5 Ways to Fight Urinary Incontinence
What embarrassing health secret do many women of a certain age share but rarely 'fess up to? Bladder problems. We're talking dribbles, sudden leaks, a...
How can I prepare for a doctor visit for urinary incontinence?
To find out what's causing your urinary incontinence -- and what can be done to treat it -- make an ...
How common is urinary incontinence?
Gladys Y. Ng, MDGladys Y. Ng, MD
Urinary incontinence is a fairly common problem. About a quarter to a third of men and women in the ...
How Can Tape Sling Surgery Help Treat Urinary Incontinence?