What is nocturia?

Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Most people sleep through the night or wake once, maybe twice, to urinate, and this is considered normal. Those who suffer from nocturia are roused from sleep several times, either because their kidneys produce more urine than their bladder can comfortably hold or their bladder capacity is reduced.

If you produce more than one-third of your daily output of urine at night, you may suffer from nocturnal polyuria (excessive excretion of urine at night). If you produce more urine at night than during the day, you suffer from nocturnal detrusor overactivity (overactive bladder muscles at night).

More bothersome than dangerous, nocturia can be successfully treated and is often curable.

Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...
Nocturia is a condition in which you must get up at night to urinate. This may involve one or more trips to the bathroom. While nocturia affects men and women of all ages, it becomes more common as people get older. Nocturia is actually one of the main causes of sleep problems in adult men and women. Getting up multiple times is called nocturnal polyuria.

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence

Overactive Bladder: The Importance of a Voiding Schedule
When treating incontinence, many health experts begin with behavior therapy through which the bladder can be trained to empty at specific times. Doing...
What causes dribbling of urine in men?
Frankfort Regional Medical CenterFrankfort Regional Medical Center
Dribbling of urine in men is most commonly caused by an enlarged prostate.
How can I prevent a urine odor if I have urinary incontinence?
Dr. May M. Wakamatsu, MDDr. May M. Wakamatsu, MD
An unpleasant urine smell due to urinary incontinence can interfere with your work and social activi...
How Can Tape Sling Surgery Help Treat Urinary Incontinence?