How do I know if I have stress incontinence?

Angela T. Valle, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
There are two different kinds of urinary incontinence: urge incontinence and stress incontinence. Some people have both types. Stress urinary incontinence is the kind people probably think about the most, which is when you leak urine after coughing, sneezing or laughing. There are surgical treatments for this condition, as well as some behavioral treatments.
Minita S. Patel, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Stress urinary incontinence occurs when you experience urine loss with laughing, coughing, sneezing or exercising.
Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

Take this simple test to see whether you have stress incontinence:

1. Do you lose urine when you laugh?

2. Do you lose urine when you sneeze?

3. Do you lose urine when you cough?

4. Do you lose urine when you exercise?

5. Do you lose urine when you engage in any of these physical
   activities: running, doing high-impact aerobics, playing tennis, doing
   low-impact aerobics, walking, playing golf, bicycling, playing
   racquetball, swimming, lifting weights, moving furniture, vacuuming,
   mowing the lawn?

6. Do you lose urine when you lift heavy objects?

7. Do you lose urine when you walk?

8. Do you lose urine when you stand?

9. Do you lose urine after having had a hysterectomy or other pelvic
   surgery?

Did you answer yes to any of the above questions? If so, it’s time to get evaluated by a urogynecologist or urologist, because you can be helped.

Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence