How does constipation contribute to urinary incontinence?

Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Think about the amount of pressure you put on your bladder when you strain and push to have a bowel movement. Preventing constipation by eating high-fiber foods and drinking plenty of water may help prevent incontinence. In a study of a group of women who experienced fecal incontinence, a positive association was seen between urinary incontinence and constipation.
Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence

Urinary Incontinence

Urinary Incontinence

Urinary incontinence (UI) is the accidental release of urine, which can affect both men and women. Symptoms of UI may differ from person to person and the treatment options range from medications to surgery. Learn more from our ex...

perts about UI.