Can constipation cause overflow urinary incontinence?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

In both men and women, it is possible for constipation to lead to overflow incontinence. The rectum must become filled enough to create pressure on the bladder and the urethra. If this happens, overflow urinary incontinence may be the end result as the pressure continues to increase until urine dribbles out.

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence

Bladder Problems? Do Kegels
Bladder Problems? Do Kegels
What embarrassing health secret do teen athletes, guys in their 40s to 90s, middle-age women, and military parachute trainees share but rarely 'fess u...
When should I call my doctor if I have urinary incontinence?
If you only experience minor urinary incontinence on rare occasions—such as when you laughed really ...
What questions may my doctor ask about my incontinence?
Jill RabinJill Rabin
Your doctor will first ask you about your symptoms, medical and surgical history, and family history...
How Is Botox Being Used for Incontinence?