What causes functional urinary incontinence?

Functional urinary incontinence can be caused by a variety of mental or physical impediments. It is generally caused by an inability to get to the toilet on time, but sometimes may be caused by a refusal to go. A stroke may limit a person's mobility and make it difficult to get to the toilet on time. In rare cases, it's possible for a person to become very depressed and choose not to use the bathroom.

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence

6 Habits That Impact Bladder Control
6 Habits That Impact Bladder Control
There is a strong link between diet and bladder control. Specific foods and drinks, portion sizes, and the time of day a person eats and drinks can al...
When should I call my doctor if I have urinary incontinence?
Dr. Anne Fabiny, MDDr. Anne Fabiny, MD
It is not unusual as one gets older to experience accidents in which urine leaks when it ought to st...
What can I do if I pee when I laugh?
Michael H. Safir, MDMichael H. Safir, MD
There are various surgical procedures that can alleviate leakage. In this video, urologist Michael S...
How Common Is Urinary Incontinence?
How Common Is Urinary Incontinence?