Which birth defects cause urinary incontinence?

Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Certain anatomical and neurological abnormalities place people at risk for incontinence. An ectopic ureter (the tube that connects the bladder to the kidney) is one that is not in its correct place. It may not connect to the bladder but enters the urethra or the vagina instead. Because the bladder is bypassed, leakage will occur. Spina bifida is a birth defect in which the individual does not feel the urge to urinate when the bladder contracts. The bladder will void unpredictably when full or when exposed to other stimuli, such as cold.
Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence

Urinary Incontinence

Urinary Incontinence

Urinary incontinence (UI) is the accidental release of urine, which can affect both men and women. Symptoms of UI may differ from person to person and the treatment options range from medications to surgery. Learn more from our ex...

perts about UI.