Why is medication alone insufficient for treating incontinence?

Ja-Hong Kim, MD
Urology
Medication alone rarely cures urinary incontinence; all it does is relax the bladder, but does not get rid of what caused the incontinence in the first place. Medication can increase your bladder capacity storage and give you a little bit more control so you don’t have any episodes. Studies have shown that combination therapy is the most effective Lifestyle changes such as pelvic floor exercises combined with a single daily pill can really improve your symptoms. 

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence Treatment

Understanding the Different Types of Urinary Incontinence
Urinary incontinence is the medical term for bladder leakage. It is most common in women, because pregnancy, childbirth, and menopause can affect the ...
What medications help to control urge incontinence?
Marc B. Garnick, MDMarc B. Garnick, MD
The most effective drugs for urge incontinence are oxybutynin (Ditropan), tolterodine (Detrol), and ...
What should I do if I have nocturia?
Jill RabinJill Rabin
If you think nocturia is your problem, keep a voiding diary, which will help you determine the time ...
What Treatments Are Available for Urinary Incontinence?