What types of clinics provide treatment for incontinence?

There are several types of clinics that work with people with incontinence:
  • Anorectal physiology labs. Run by clinicians and equipped to evaluate fecal incontinence (unintended passage of stool), these facilities are often located in hospital departments specializing in motility disorders or functional bowel disorders (most likely gastroenterology, surgery, or urogynecology departments) as well as in some private practices.
  • Pelvic floor disorders centers. Some hospitals have developed clinics to provide one-stop shopping for the evaluation and treatment of many pelvic floor disorders, including urinary, fecal incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse. These clinics may combine the expertise of many specialists, including urogynecologists, colorectal surgeons, urologists, gastroenterologists, neurologists, physiatrists (physicians who deal with muscle and skeletal problems and rehabilitation), and physical therapists.

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence Treatment

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.