How can I help treat my urinary incontinence without surgery?

Most forms of urinary incontinence in men are treatable with medication, physical therapy or behavioral changes such as reducing alcohol, caffeine and certain medications. Physical therapy involves learning how to control the pelvic floor muscles. The floor of the pelvis is made up of layers of muscles that stretch like a hammock from the tailbone at the back to the pubic bone at the front. Pelvic floor muscles support the bladder and the bowel and play an important role in bladder and bowel control. Strengthening these muscles can reduce leakage and improve control.

Pelvic floor muscle exercises are taught under the guidance of a specialized physical therapist.
An approach for men and women who want to try nonsurgical methods first is to strengthen the muscles of the pelvic floor through exercise. The strength and proper action of your pelvic floor muscles are important in maintaining continence. Like weakened or damaged muscles elsewhere in your body, their condition can usually be improved with regular exercise and, if needed, physical therapy. Patients can be referred to pelvic floor physical therapists by their health care providers.

Continue Learning about Urinary Incontinence Treatment